There are many different types of boat seats available and the most important consideration in making this determination is the type of boat you have and what you will be using it for. The most common types of boat seats are:
* Leaning Posts
* Captain’s Chairs
* Bench Seats
* Flip-Flop Seats
* Bucket Type Seats
Leaning post seats are most often used for center console boats. They are also some leaning post seats for bass boats. They can function as a leaning post, a seat or a bench. Most of these types of seats have optional removable backrests and thickly clustered cushions for superior comfort. Most leaning posts type seats have four fishing rod holders and an integrated hand and foot rail.
There are many types of captain’s chairs that run the gamete on quality. Top of the line captain chairs have UV stabilized polyethylene construction, extra thick clustered cushions, padded armrests on anodized aluminum mounting brackets and foot pedestals. This seat also is a slider, meaning the seat itself slides up or down for the comfort of the captain.
Swivel seats are especially popular on fishing boats that have a seat hole pattern to attach them onto. The benefits of swivel seats are that they are removable, can turn 360 degrees, fit most standard seat holes patterns, are self lubricating, with non-corrosive poly swivel bearings and most are made with E-coated steel which resists corrosion. Additionally, most swivel seats have a quick release mechanism that allows the seat to slide out thru plastic tracks that are mounted to the boat.
Additional Types of Boat Seats:
* Some fishing boat seats are cushions on top of ice chests. These seats can be positioned anywhere the angler desires in the boat, or fastened to the deck in specific locations.
* Bucket seats are considered very comfortable seats. Most are made of heavy-duty marine grade vinyl which means they are sun, salt and mildew resistant. These types of seats are mounted or can be mounted to the boat.
* Proform seats aka fishing seats are ideal seats for small boats. They are usually made of molded plastic, have a cushioned seat and back for comfort and are ultra-low when folded flat.
* Lounge seats. This type of boat seats are back to back of one another. They are usually seen on sky boats and runabouts. Most have plastic frames, cushioned seats and have dry storage underneath. They come in many different sizes, are permanently mounted into the boat and most are UV treated to provide for mildew resistance.
* Bench Seats. Bench seats are boat seats that are similar to a couch in a home. More than one person can sit on them, right next to each other or they make great sun bathing seats, as a person can lay down the length of one. Most of these types of boat seats are found on walk-through windshield boats and pontoon boats.
Flip-Flop Seats: Flip-Flop Bench seats are popular on fishing boats as well as many recreational boats. What is great about these seats is that they are cushioned both on the seat and the back and have either a live bait well or storage area underneath. Some are also insulated and can carry ice and cold stuff.
Bucket Type Seats: Usually bucket seats are flexible and there are several styles even in bucket designs. Some work best for helms of the boat, some are good fishing chairs and can vary in price depending on the level of comfort and style you’re looking for.